Friday 3 September 2010

The Big Question

Okay, so I've misled you. This is not THE big question, but ít's the one that's been perplexing me for the past few minutes, and I think it's important.

Once upon a time, labels on jars and bottles needed a mere soak in water to smoothly, most often in one piece, slide from the glass, without leaving a nasty residue. When did this change?

I am sure there are some people out there who collect labels. If they live in the Middle East I am sure they create designs of the UAE flag or the president, or some other illustrious personage, with them (why not, they do it with matchboxes!). How these people must be suffering from this 'difficult-to-remove-label' trend?

Some weeks ago I made the decision to cook Indian food. Anyone who does this will know that you end up with a ridiculous number of different spices. In the UAE many of these come in plastic bags, rather than jars. But jars are better for storing them. So instead of taking glass jars to the recycling bin, I decided to remove their labels and reuse them.

Now I regret this decision.

I have one particular jar that I have soaked for hours - twice! Yet the residue remains.

If anyone reading this blog is a label collector and has an elegant solution to this problem, please post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment