Saturday 23 October 2010

More experimenting in the kitchen

Today I was inspired to experiment in the kitchen again. In my ongoing quest to create high protein vegetarian dishes I made drop scones. (Some may call them pikelets, or even thick pancakes - where I come from they are drop scones.)

Basic recipe

1 cup skim milk ricotta
4 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 cup besan (chick pea flour)
1/8 cup soy flour
1/4 cup ground almonds

Whisk eggs and ricotta. Mix together with the dry ingredients.


Once I got to this stage I decided to make both savoury and sweet versions. To do this, I divided the mixture in half.

Savoury variation:
I added some grated cheese (with cumin) and some chilli powder.

Sweet variation:
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (never, never, never vanilla essence!)
1 packet splenda (artificial sweetener)

Melt some butter in a fairly hot pan. Drop spoonfulls of the mixture into the pan. Cook on one side until golden then turn and cook the other side.

Serve. The cheese ones are perfect by themselves. I topped a sweet one with no sugar added strawberry jam. Delicious.

The rest are in the fridge for later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment