Thursday 30 June 2011

Back to the kitchen

Today I ventured back into the kitchen. I long for a larger kitchen, an easier-to-work-in kitchen. But my kitchen is not enough to make me stop. So today I ventured back to make some Caponata.

Chop aubergine - a couple of them - organic ones are great because they are less spongy and water-filled than the others. Fry pieces in oil until golden - I do this in small batches so that the oil remains hot.

Finely chop onion and celery. Cook briefly in boiling salted water. Add to fried aubergines with the following:
tomato paste
salt and pepper
capers (I buy the salted ones, and then soak them for 30 minutes to get rid of the salt)
chopped green olives
white wine vinegar
sugar

For about 2 aubergines, I use 4 sticks of celery, a large onion, about 20 olives, 1 tablespoon each of tomato paste, sugar, vinegar and capers.

Cook this wonderful mixture for about 15 minutes and get ready to eat it. But don't eat it all now. It tastes even better over the next few days as it ages, and the vinegar preserves it. Lovely at room temperature with toast or on a spoon.

1 comment: