Thursday 1 December 2011

More on my move ...

Arrival!
My flight landed early. The way through passport control was fast and efficient. My luggage was amongst some of the first to be unloaded. I breezed through customs.

A wonderful beginning.

I phoned Martin, my real estate agent, who had offered to come and pick me up and drive me to the apartment. He arrived promptly, helped with my luggage and was, as ever, charming and full of useful information about my new home.

After signing everything that needed to be signed and learning how to use the multiple locks, I was alone in my new, very empty home. My top priority was something to sleep on, and something to sleep under. So I harnessed all my courage and found my way to the Metro station, and on to a train with a 24 hour ticket (for some reason I always find train systems a little scary and am amazed each time I try a new one at how easily they can be navigated).

So to Pankrรกc station – just one stop further out of town. A yoga mat, a duvet, and I was set for the night. I have to say, that after two nights of this uncomfortable arrangement, my white cloud of an IKEA mattress is beckoning.

Of course, I’m still trying to get the hang of the heating controls – but I haven’t really needed the heating. My kitchen cupboards are bare. But I have found the Tesco Express just down the road. My biggest challenge now is finding my way to and from the station. First time was in daylight. No problem. But in the dark (just after 5 pm – short days here now!) everything looked different and I walked and retraced my steps twice before finding my way. I am optimistic that from now on I shouldn’t have any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment