Thursday 1 December 2011

An update - I've moved to Prague!

Well, after a long absence I have returned to the screen of my blog. A word of explanation for my silence. I've been busy moving. The dream of a 'real' life in Europe is, I trust, going to become my reality. I have moved to Prague, got myself connected, and am embarking on new adventures.

But first, some musings on my final hours in Dubai ...

Last Day in Dubai

As ever, Dubai gave me memorable experiences right until the last moment.

I was reminded of Dubai-Sharjah traffic. I hadn’t been on this road for many years because of the traffic. I had completely forgotten how ghastly it can be. And on my last day I battled with it twice.

Rude taxi drivers – I know most of the taxi drivers are fantastic. But there are the bad ones, and two of my last three taxi rides involved these. First a taxi driver who gets a flat tire, on a road with no other taxis, and who refuses to contact his company and get them to send someone. A second taxi arrives and stops. I ask, hopefully, can you take me? No, of course not. He’s helping the one with the flat tyre. Have these people never heard of customers? Are we not how they make their money? A bit of help would have gone a long way. But none was forthcoming, so my wallet remained firmly shut.

Then there was the ‘moaning’ taxi driver on the way to the airport. The traffic is so bad. These signals cause the bad traffic. A woman who lives over there didn’t pay the fare yesterday. I have visited twice asking for the money but she just tells me to come back. Last time I went she didn’t open the door. (It’s not that these aren’t legitimate moans. The traffic was bad, the woman who didn’t pay her fare unspeakable – but I just want to relax and get to the airport.)

Of course, it’s my last time leaving Dubai and I have excess luggage. 20 kilos of the stuff. Here was a bright point in my leaving. I still had to pay it all but a lovely man took pity on me and I only paid for 14 kilos. Of course, being Emirates, this is still an extortionate amount, but it was all stuff I need.

I look out of my window now and see green, I see uncongested roads. And what’s that I hear? A car horn? No, not a car horn to be heard. I’ve got a lot to do before I truly feel I belong here, and I probably won’t end my days here. But it’s nice to call Prague home.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, it's like a good book that keeps on adding chapters :-)

    ReplyDelete