Thursday 29 March 2012

B is for Beans


Baked beans, from a tin, are one of the foods I most hate in this world. The mere mention of baked beans takes me back to the worst memories of family camping trips. I remember the good times, but somehow the bad food memories (maybe B is also for bad food memories) dominate my recollections of these trips. Baked beans, soggy breakfast cereal and tinned peas and carrots. Yuk! 

Thankfully there are many different types of beans and many ways to eat them. So beans do make it into my list of food highlights. 

For a healthy side dish try this:
For every 100 g of green beans, use 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon of water and a quick dash of olive oil. Toss green beans on a baking sheet with smashed garlic, water and oil. Roast at around 230 degrees C until your beans are tender and slightly charred – keep an eye on them, you don’t want them black. They’ll take about 15 – 20 minutes. Toss with a small amount of chopped tarragon (about ½ tspn), a smidgeon of whole-grain mustard (about ¼ tspn), salt and pepper. 

Another one of my favourite beans is that wonder, the soybean. Edamame can be bought frozen in lots of places now (although I haven’t found them in Prague). Serve them like they do in Wagamama. Steamed with salt. Or if you’re feeling like something a little different try steaming the beans in their pods for a couple of minutes. Lightly fry some chopped red chilli in a little sesame oil. Add the beans and stir fry them for about a minute and serve with salt. There is much joy to be had from sucking the beans out of their pods while sipping a glass of dry white wine.

Another quick healthy favourite is bean soup. Usually I use either tinned white beans or chick peas for this one. If I remember to plan ahead, I will do the beans from scratch – with all the soaking, etc. But it’s easier to grab a can of beans from the food cupboard.
First I chop up an onion or two and fry them in a small amount of vegetable oil. You want the onion soft and lightly golden, so don’t put the heat too high. Then I add some finely chopped garlic and let that soften. Toss in the drained, rinsed beans, and add some water or vegetable stock – enough to cover the beans well and a bit more. Simmer this for about 10 minutes, then puree it all using a stick blender. If it’s too thick, add some more stock. If it’s too thin, boil it on the stove until it reduces. Taste it and adjust the seasoning – I use salt and lemon juice. Serve it with a swirl of natural yoghurt, and some chopped parsley. 

And of course there’s Pasta e Fagioli – I don’t have a favourite recipe for this, but I know that the one prepared by Carluccio’s in Dubai is delicious (and probably pretty similar to that served in Carluccio’s anywhere). In many places this is a vegetarian dish, but be warned. Some chefs use pancetta and chicken stock. So if you’re eating out, check the ingredients before ordering.

No comments:

Post a Comment