Wednesday 4 April 2012

My yummy Tofu recipe - inspired by all of my Indian friends :)


Two things I miss about Dubai - Indian food and my friends - not necessarily in that order :-) Anyway, I decided to mess about in my gorgeous kitchen and came up with this recipe that reminds me of both.

Spicy Tofu - Indian Style

Serves 6 (can be halved quite easily - but I'd say make the full amount of oil and use the extra on something else - I'm sure there are other foods this will work with. Try mushrooms.)

Ingredients
·         2 teaspoons paprika
·         1 teaspoon salt
·         ½ teaspoon ground cumin
·         ½ teaspoon ground coriander
·         ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
·         4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I usually use sunflower oil)
·         1 tablespoon minced garlic
·         1 tablespoon lime juice
·         2 packs of tofu – extra firm if you can get it
·          ⅔ cup low fat plain yogurt
·         Sliced spring onions to garnish

Method

1.      Mix paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric and ½ teaspoon of salt in a small bowl.Then gently fry the garlic in oil, add the spices and cook it all together for a minute or so and enjoy the yummy smells. Don't burn it - if you do, throw it out and start again.
2.      Drain the tofu and slice each block into 6 slices. Dry them with kitchen paper.
3.   Using about 1/2 the oil, brush it over the tofu slices. Don't get this stuff on your clothes. Turmeric stains are horrible!
4.      Heat a griddle pan (you know, the ones with ridges) on a medium-high heat. Fry the tofu until it has grill marks on one side, then turn it over – it takes about 2 – 3 minutes each side.
5.   While the tofu is cooking, mix the rest of the spiced oil in with the yoghurt.
6.     Eat the tofu with the sauce, topped with thin slices of spring onion.  If you like it, you can use fresh coriander. Cherry tomatoes go well with it too and make the plate look pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment