Tuesday 15 February 2011

My year of living differently - progress report

This year I decided I would live differently.

Many people seem to engage with their lives. But there are those amongst us who don't know how to do that, who have found it an ongoing struggle to face our fears.

Now I want to surprise myself. Often. I want to embrace courage, and much else besides. In recent months I have thought about the things I've never done and the things that I had stopped doing and wanted to do again, and the things that had never even crossed my mind. Even small steps are incredibly liberating. Savour the moment when you say to yourself, "I was amazing. Can you believe I did that?"

I decided to live and to live the Nike slogan - Just do it.

If you're facing fears and wondering if you can change, give it a go. Turn away from the idea that people are judging you. It could be that they are, but do they matter? Does their opinion matter enough to stop you from stepping up to life?

A friend recently told me that age 46 is when things turn around - the point when we make the shift from trying to please too many to a point where we realise that we are strong, beautiful people no matter what others think. It's the time when we are free of trying to impress others and just want to make sure that we wring each valuable molecule of living from the sponges around us.

Just do it.

Let me know how it goes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment